The Bureau of Fire Prevention is tasked with the enforcement of the NJ Uniform Fire Code including inspections on single and two family dwelling sales or change of occupancy. We also schedule fire prevention demonstrations, home safety inspections and smoke detector installations.
- Home Safety and Free Smoke Detectors
- Fire Prevention and Education
- Fire Code and Property Maintenance Enforcement
- Annual Registration Fees
- Sale of Property Inspections
We offer free smoke detectors and home safety inspections to all Harrison Township residents. Contact the office for more information or to schedule an appointment. 856-478-6832
The Harrison Township Fire District performs fire prevention assemblies in Harrison Twp and Pleasant Valley Schools each year during Fire Prevention Week in October. When requested we will fire prevention instruction to any of our residents and merchants.
- In classroom instruction
- Public Assemblies
- Commercial and residential evacuation and training
- Tours of our fire stations
- Fire apparatus demonstrations
Life Hazard Uses are inspected every 12 months at a minimm, some properties are required to be inspected quarterly.
The following enforcement codes are used during the inspection.
- NJ Uniform Fire Code
- 1993 BOCA Property Maintenance Code
Inspections are performed in all non-owner occupied and commercial properties. It is the owner of the properties responsibility to register any property that is available for rent.
If there is a change in tenants in between property registrations please update the tenant information on the proper form.
Contact the Bureau of Fire Prevention for an application
Inspections are performed Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday Thursday, Friday and some Saturdays in the following time blocks:
- AM Slot = Between 9:00 am and 11:30 pm M - F
- PM Slot = Between 1:00 pm and 4:30 pm M - F
We unfortunately cannot schedule the inspection for a specific time, as the inspectors must be available to respond to emergency calls for service. We make every attempt to perform the inspections at the beginning of the time slots, but cannot give you a specific time or estimate of our arrival. We understand the inconvenience this may cause and will make every attempt to arrive at your property as early as possible.
If more time is needed to complete outstanding violations, a time extension form must be completed and submitted to the Harrison Township Fire Prevention Bureau for review and approval by the Fire Official. You will receive an approval or denial.
Annual Registration Fees for Non Life Hazard uses are set by Harrison Township Ordinance #22-2002 (Amended July 2002)
Life Hazard Use registrations are billed by the NJ State Division of Community Affairs.
The Harrison Township Fire District Fire Prevention Bureau performs all applicable inspections for the sale of a property. The inspections that are performed:
- Certificate of Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Compliance (CSDCMAC):
- Fees: $35 scheduled 10+ days before
- $70 scheduled 4-10 days before
- $125 scheduled less than 4 days before
- $150 if a re-inspection is required
- Requirements for CSDCMAC
- Smoke detector on every level and every potential bedroom
- Carbon monoxide detector on every level that has a bedroom within 10’ of the bedrooms
- 2A 10 BC Fire Extinguisher mounted in the kitchen or within 10 feet of the kitchen
Applications and requirements for the sale of property inspections can be picked up at the Bureau of Fire Prevention Office
Permits and Inspections are required for all use of:
- Torches (roofing, painting etc.)
- Tents (Party Tents, Sales Tents, etc.)
- Food vendors for events in Harrison Township (Fairs, Parties, etc…)
- Commercial cooking establishments
The permit fee is $42 and an application can be picked up at the Bureau of Fire Prevention Office
All fees must be paid in money order or check made payable to "Harrison Township Bureau of Fire Prevention"
To obtain copies of any records or view files an Open Public Records Act form must be completed and submitted. This form can be picked up at the Bureau of Fire Prevention Office.
Harrison Township Fire District
Fire Prevention Bureau
312 Ewan Rd
Mullica Hill, NJ 08062
Office: (856) 478-6832
Fax: (856) 478-4344